Plain Packaging of Tobacco Products - Editorial

Plain Packaging of Tobacco Products in India

Plain Packaging of Tobacco Products

  • Saudi Arabia and Thailand will join the marathon of introducing plain packaging (warning instructions on packages) of tobacco products this year.
  • World Health Organizations (WHO) deviced the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) and Australia hold the honor to be the first country to introduce the plain packaging of tobacco products following the WHO’s framework guidelines.
  • Currently it is implemented in European Union (Ireland, France, UK, Norway, Hungary, Uruguay (2019) and Slovenia (2020)) and New Zealand.
  • This framework guideline is will be implemented into as many as 14 other countries.

What is Plain packaging? Why it is important?

It standardised the product appearance of the tobacco products. Use of logos, color, branding pictures and images or marketing information is strictly prohibited except brand and product name.
The idea/aim/objective is to reduce the attractiveness and appealing sense of tobacco products, with no scope for using packaging to advertise and promote consumption.

Is it against WTO (World Trade Organization) Rules?

WTO favoured the plain packaging initiative of Australia, in Jun 2018.
WTO panel, rejected the conception that Australia unforgiveable contravene tobacco trademarks and infringed intellectual property rights, and mentioned plain packaging for the “betterment of public health by minimising use of and openness to tobacco products”.

Tobacco menace in India

  1. Tobacco is very pampered baby of Indian people and deeply rooted into everyday society. In India witness approximately one million deaths annually due to tobacco consumptions.
  2. In April 2016, India decided and implement, increased size of graphic pictorial warnings, by 85%,on the packaging of tobacco products.
  3. Graphic pictorial warning had considerable impact on the on category of Indian consuming tobacco, the impact was as such. The percentage of tobacco users to think of quitting because of the pictorial warning increased to 62% (cigarette), 54%(bidi-indigenous cigarette made from tobacco leaves), 46% (chewable tobacco) - Data derived from the comparison of Global Adult Tobacco Survey 2016-2017 and 2009-2010).
  4. Tobacco use among tennagers and young generations (15-24 years of age) showed a substantial reduction of 6% (18.4%-2009-10 to 12.4%-2016-17).
  5. India is 4th country in Asia to and ranks 3rd Globally to display “Plain Packaging of tobacco products” as mentioned by “Canadian Cancer Society’s ‘Cigarette Package Health Warning International Status Report”

Important Links (External)

Post a Comment

Please do not enter any spam link in the comment box. Thank you.

Previous Post Next Post