- NHAI to raise INR 10,000 crores through Bharatmala Bonds.
- After the Budget approval (2018-2019) by the Indian Govt. NHAI needs to raise and collect INR 62,000 crores by various means including Bharatmala Bonds.
What is Bharatmala Pariyojna?
- Construction of largest highway project in connection with NHDP
- National Highway Development Project (NHDP) had dedicated development of **50k km roads and highways throughout India.
- Bharatmala on the other hand plans to improve the connectivity (linkage to 550 districts) for economic corridors, for ease of transportation, increase exports, and bridge infrastructure gaps.
- Under Bharatmala Pariyojana, highways constructions and work worth Rs 8 lakh crore (let’s make it more interesting and put it in number, ₹ 8000000000000), will begin in late 2018.
- Connectivity to remote locations of Tribal areas, tourist regions, trade routes, and border locations.
- Bharatmala enables 50 national corridors, currently, we have only 6 corridors.
- Efficiency in trade and grow 70-80 freight movement as opposed to currently at 40 percent.
- Linkage to 550 different districts through Highway linkage.
- The Bharatmala, a Total of 24,800 km of highways and roads are considered for Phase 1.
- This also includes the remaining works of 10,000 km which were supposed to be completed under the National Highway Development Project (NHDP).
- Merits of Bharatmala will have a direct impact on the Logistic Performance Index (LPI).
- Phase 1 of Bharatmala Pariyojna is to be continued for over five years (from 2017-2018 to 2021-2022).