Green Technology - Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY)- Background Context
The set of Guidelines was used by the Union Ministry to promote the use of Green Technologies and Locally Available Materials for the construction of the road under the title Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY).
Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) promotes the use of Green Technologies or Green Alternatives and non-traditional substances like Plastic, Geo-Textiles, Fly-Ash, Waste Iron, and copper slag etc in construction or establishment of the rural roads.
States Government Benefaction (Contribution)
Each state under the scheme PMGSY is expected to suggest at least 15% (fifteen percent) of the actual road proposed to be under new technological engineering options such as Fly ash, Cement and Lime stabilization, Waste plastic, and Cold mix, Concrete pavement, etc.
Further Composure or Relaxation
In order to make room for the usage of locally available or naturally occurring material, the rule book of the Ministry of Rural Development was relaxed in the context of material grading.
Current Storyline or Scenario
- Proposal submitted by the State Government of Andhra Pradesh for adaption of their 37 roads totaling 163.49 km., particularly areas affected by left-wing extremism (Maoists and Naxalites), approved under the *Road Connectivity Project with newly available technologies.
- Apart from the proposal from the State Govt. of Andhra Pradesh, there are no other proposals on the Governments desk (No pending proposals).
- The Union Government or Ministry has approved and authorized the construction of roads (35,922 km) with new technologies and it is believed that more than 60% (sixty percent) i.e. 22,984 km is already completed.
Primary Aim/Objective of PMGSY
- Inter-connectivity and up-gradation of all rural roads with main roads or highways for implementation of Farm to Market connectivity.
- To get the work done (inter-connectivity and up-gradation of rural roads) in a more seamless manner and address the grievances of rural communities or citizens; PMGSY promotes the use of IT, Mobile, and Satellite communication technologies.
- The intimidating mobile initiative Meri Sadak was started, that geared the citizens to register their grievances in regards to the rapidity (pace) of the construction of roads and caliber (standard or quality) of the construction of roads under the scheme PMGSY.