Polavaram Project - Introduction
- The Central Board of Irrigation and Power (CBIP) Award, in the “Best Implementation of Water Resources Project” category, has been given to the Andhra Pradesh government.
- The award was presented to Andhra Pradesh for the efficient planning and implementation of the Polavaram multipurpose project on the Godavari river.
The Polavaram Project
- The Polavaram Project incorporates the Godavari River dam and major terminal reservoir. The dam is being built in the West and East Godavari Districts in Andhra Pradesh state and the reservoir covers parts of Chhattisgarh and Orissa States.
- The aim of the terminal reservoir on the Godavari river is to provide the East and West Godavari, Visakhapatnam, and Krishna districts of Andhra Pradesh with effective hydropower, irrigation, and drinking water facilities.
The Central Board of Irrigation and Power (CBIP)
The CBIP was set up in 1927 as a Premier Institution by the Government of India. Since this time, it has supported the provision of power, water resources, and renewable energy to professional organizations, engineers, and individuals in India.The Central Board of Irrigation and Power (CBIP)
Objective of CBIP
- To provide technical understanding and information (through the publication of manuals, reports, and journals; the organization of conferences and seminars; and the granting of awards for technical excellence).
- To provide professionals and organizations with information services.
- To create a technical database.
- To ensure the continued professional development of engineers/professionals.
- To offer consultancy services.
- To carry out continued research.
- To utilize connections with international organizations to link up Indian engineers, managers, and scientists with their peers from abroad.
- To keep up-to-date and introduce the latest technological developments.