Release of Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI) 2019

As per the report, very few countries are taking steps toward the limiting warming of the “Pale Blue Dot”.

· 1 min read
Release of Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI) 2019
Photo by Mika Baumeister / Unsplash

Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI) is an entity in association with 58 countries and strengthens openness in international climate politics. CCPI is an international monitoring agency to assesses the climate change situation and asks global countries to practice the best policies to fight climate change and ways to minimize their carbon footprint.


Evaluation

  • Based on the best industry practice, protocols, and standard criteria, the CCPI assesses and compares the environment/climate protection accomplishments of 58 nations, together they make up about 90% of the CO2 emission on this planet.
- Fridays for Future Bonn, 2021-03-19
Photo by Mika Baumeister / Unsplash
  • 80% of the assessment is made using the pre-decided standard indicators of emission trends and CO2 levels. The remaining 20% results are achieved from the assessment of the climate policies and protocols at the national and international level by 200+ experts from member countries.

Entities of the Report

The index has four categories weighing differently as such

  1. Greenhouse Gasses (GHG) Emission - 40% weighting
  2. Renewable Energy - 20% weighting
  3. Energy Use - 20% weighting
  4. Implementation of Climate Policy - 20%.
Photo by Li-An Lim / Unsplash

Finding of the CCPI Report

  1. The countries that made it to the top of the list are Sweden followed by Morocco and Lithuania.
  2. At the bottom of the list are Saudi Arabia (SA), the United States of America (USA), Iran, and Korea.
  3. India stands at the 11th position as of CCPI 2019.
  4. As per the report, very few countries are taking steps toward the limiting warming of the “Pale Blue Dot”. We are still miles away from saving the planet.