Revision in List of the Scheduled Tribes of Arunachal Pradesh - Background
The cabinet ministry headed by Prime Minister Mr. Narendra Modi approved the institutionalized bill “Constitution (Schedule Tribes) Order (Amendment) Bill, 2018” in the Indian Parliament for amendments to be made to Constitution (Schedule Tribes) Order, 1959. The Amendments introduced are to modify the STs (Scheduled Tribes) of Arunachal Pradesh.
The Amendment specifies the changes to be made in the list of STs (Scheduled Tribes) of Arunachal Pradesh.
- Deletion of ‘Abor’ in serial No. 1, as it is.
- Replace Tai Khamti’ alternatively of (instead of) ‘Khampti’ at serial No. 6.
- Includes ‘Mishmi-Kaman’ (Miju Mishmi), Idu (Mishmi), and Taraon (Digaru Mishmi) in serial No. 8.
- Includes Monpa, Memba, Sartang, and Sajolong (Miji) in serial No. 9 in lieu of ‘Momba’.
- Include ‘Nocte’, "Tangsa’, Tutsa’, ‘Wancho’ in relation to ‘Any Naga Tribes’ in Sr. No. 10 in the list of STs of Arunachal Pradesh.
The rationale for the proposed amendments are
- Removal of Abor – Removal of duplication (if any)
- Replace Khampti – A non-existent tribe called ‘Khampti’
- Provision to include Idu and Tarao, in addition to Mishmi-Kaman. The existing entry is Mishmi. Non-existence of such a community.
- Provision to include Monpa, Memba, Sartang, and Wancho The existing entry is ‘Any Naga Tribes’. These are the only Naga tribes in the State of Arunachal Pradesh.
- Provision to include Nocte, Tangsa, Tutsa, Wancho – Existing entry is a broad category ‘Any Naga Tribes’. These are reportedly the only Naga tribes in the State of Arunachal Pradesh.
- of Schedule Tribes (STs) of Arunachal Pradesh.
Once the bill becomes and takes the shape of an Act, the respective community members, freshly listed in the revised list shall definitely get the benefits of STs under the existing schemes of the Government. Some of the benefits of the scheme are such, as Post Matric Scholarship, National Fellowship, World-Class Education, Loan from National Scheduled Tribes Finance and Development Corporation at lower (concessional) rates, Accommodation for boys and girls, reservation in Govt. services at all levels according to Govt. Policy.