Saubhagya Scheme - Background Information
On Sept. 2017 Prime Minister Mr. Narendra Modi (NDA government) announced for complete electrification of the process to be completed by December 2018.
The state govt. of Maharashtra complete 100% electrification through the entire state well before the timeframe.
To provide free electricity to economically less fortunate (identified through Socio-Economic Caste Census, the year 2011). The beneficiary is to receive one LED light/bulb/lamp and one DC power plug.
Budget allocation of 16, 320 crores in total, and Gross Budgetary Support (GBS) is Rs. 12,320 crores.
Outcome and Response of the Scheme
- Till August 2018, 91% of Indian households received electricity connections.
- In October 2018, the state of Bihar also completed the 100% electrification of the entire state.
- The State-operated power departments, DISCOMs (Electricity Distribution Companies), both the Public and Private sectors eligible to receive monetary assistance under the scheme DDUGJY
Features of the Schemes
- Electricity connection to everyone household (especially rural) regardless if they fall under the free scheme. Solar Photovoltaic (SPV), is the solar electric system for remote location households.
- Also last mile, electricity connectivity to all financially poor, urban households, and non-poor urban households (not into the scheme).