In the practice of the authoritative power vested in the Central Govt. under section 3. of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967 (UAPA), the Govt. marked the list of organizations illegal, unlawful and decided to enlist them as Unlawful Organizations in last three years.
These organizations are as follows.
- Islamic Research Foundation (IRF)
- National Liberation Front in Tripura (NLFT)
- All Tripura Tiger Forum (ATTF)
Under Section 35 of UAPA, the Indian Government on knowing the organization or group involved in terrorism had added them to the First Schedule of UAPA during the last three years:
- Al-Qaeda in Indian Subcontinent (AQIS) and all its manifestations.
- Islamic State in Khorasan Province (ISKP)/ISIS Wilayat Khorasan/Islamic State of Iraq and the Sham-Khorasan (ISIS-K) and all its manifestations.
- Khalistan Liberation Force and all its manifestations.
In the last three years the “National Investigation Agency (NIA)” successfully arrested 418 individuals accused of involvement in terrorist activities.
A certain number of people are also detained by the State Police, the details of the same are not maintained by the Central Govt. No organization, already included in the list of UAPA was ever removed in the last three years.
The Central and State Government has not released any details of the accused persons detained by the NIA and State authorities under UAPA. Also, the data (details of accused) of individuals released on the order of the Apex Court is not maintained by the Government.
Background of National Investigation Agency (NIA)
- National Investigation Agency: (HQ – New Delhi).
- Establishment of NIA act: 31st December 2008.
- Year of Establishment: 2009.
- Objective: Central Counter Terrorism Law Enforcement Agency in India.
- NIA comes under the Ministry of Home Affairs.
Vision of NIA
National Investigation Agency is the government investigation agency (federal law enforcement in nature) operating at a very professional level with the best international standards and protocols.
NIA's objective is to devise and implement standards and protocols for counter-terrorism and national security-related investigation and scanning at a national level in coordination with a highly personal workforce.
They store all data and information related to terrorist groups and potential threats to national security.